Tuesday, December 20, 2011

ACBA Christmas Show

This post is going to be a little scatter brained, just to warn you before hand.

Last Saturday I went to see one of my best friends, Helen, perform at the The Alaska Center for the Performing Arts in Anchorage (the PAC for short). It was a hectic day, trying to make sure I had my ticket (my daddy called in to get it. The silly online site didn't register that the address we typed in did indeed match the credit card number), getting my clothes washed (hey, I didn't have time at home!), shopping for the perfect gift, and getting to the theater on time. In the end, I was dressed in one of my favorite dresses (black strapless with a maroon shirt underneath), and waiting awkwardly in a lobby-like area upstairs where the ticket vendor had directed me.

So, I'm standing there, feeling extremely lonely, hoping Helen could for the love of nature and all things pretty text me back, when I hear somebody call my name. I turn and to my delight, I see MRS. LINDAMOOD!!!!! Yes, I was super excited to see her, and promptly glued myself to her for the rest of the night, except of course during the performance. When I was pointed to my seat, I sat for around 10 minutes before I was informed that I was sitting in the wrong seat, and moved back a row. The family that took my place were hilarious to watch and listen to. Parents and two daughters (one probably 17-19 year old, and one stubborn 5-6 year old). The conversation we had went along these lines:

Dad So, you're coming to the ballet alone?
Me: Yes. I've come to see a friend.
Mom: Oh, is she a dancer?
Me: Yes, she is. *smiles sweetly*
Dad: And whats her name?
Me: Helen Lindamood.
Them: Ooh.
*pause of a couple minutes*
Dad: So, are you a ballet dancer too?
Me: yes, I am.
Mom: Oooh, were you in The Nutcracker?
Me: *rolling eyes inwardly* No, I didn't audition in time.
Them: *sympathetic look*
Me: *smiles and looks back at program*
Little girl: *stubbornly not sitting in front by her sister* Mom I want to dance for flowers!
Mom: You can, but we need to sit down and watch this first,.
Dad: Hey, why don't you go sit by her? *nods toward me* she's a REAL ballet dancer
Little girl: *doubtfully sits down*


It kinda sorta made my day right next to Helen's birthday present.

On with the show! They had guest dancers from a ballet company in Idaho. They did a Pas De Deux, and it was beautiful, but because I didn't have light enough to read my program (and hadn't had enough time anyway), I totally assumed it was Alex Lammon who was dancing....*cough* this IS a compliment, by the way.

(The above picture isn't the Pas De Deux I saw, or even the same dancers, but you get the idea.)

I was delighted when, during the Waltz of the Snowflakes, "real" snow fell onstage. It added a magical touch to the performance, and I could hear people whispering around me "It's snow!" "SNOW!" "Look, snow!". I smirked subtly to myself. Helen did a pas de deux with a guy named Oscar Gonzalez. It was beautiful, despite what she keeps saying, even though I think it's kind of awkward, a 16-year-old dancing with a 40-year-old guy. The Christmas Extravaganza was HILARIOUS. That's all I have to say about that. The Trepak was absolutely amazing as well.

But, what remains my all time favorite though was Drumming Song. That would be Helen's modern/lyrical dance. It was freaking AMAZING. And I looooove it. And I wish I could have recorded it...because it was AMAZING.

~La vie est belle, Bri~

No comments:

Post a Comment