Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Subtle Captivation, Change: Hair

I read a post last week (yes, I tend to do this a lot) while seriously considering a pixie cut. The post talked about how we make hundreds of decisions a day; who to date, what we’re going to wear, and places to spend our hard earned cash, but how reluctant we are to take risks when it comes to our hair.
“We make decisions one of two ways; the safe way or the risky way.” We often take risks when it comes to dining and dates, so why don’t we do the same with our hair? After all, hair grows back at a remarkable rate.
 The writer of this post quoted a psychiatrist who said that women with short hair “take risks, are independent, and are more comfortable in their skin” than their long haired counterparts. Vince Smith, a salon owner in New York City, agreed with this statement saying, “Wearing your hair shorter allows your true beauty and confidence to show. A short hair style can really accentuate your best features, like your eyes, lips, or a graceful, long neck.”

This came at a great time because I honestly needed a little push to cut my hair. I didn’t get great support from close friends who were stagnantly close minded and seemed to focus more on how much I would regret it then how much I would love it, and were concerned that it wouldn’t look great. Although they did have a point, I needed a bit more open minded discussion about it, so I developed a bit of a pros and cons list.

Pros:
  • Because my hair has such bad split ends and breakage, getting a pixie cut would be a new, healthy start that would not only help my hair grow faster, but also be altogether healthier than it is now. 
  • A short hair cut is ideal for the hot summer in Utah 
  • Getting ready for the day is a lot easier and faster with less hair 
  • There are lots of styling opportunity for short hair using gel and a bit of creativity 
  • It could look amazing 

 Cons:
  • No elegant up dos 
  • It’s risky, people might not like it 
  • It could look awful 
  • You could look like a lesbian (brought up by a friend) 
  • You’d probably have to dress more girly so people don’t mistake you for a guy (or the aforementioned lesbian) 

Altogether, I decided pros were better than cons, and took the plunge to chop off 9 inches of light brown curls into a short pixie cut and dye it a deep red. I love my new haircut, but am iffy on the color. Ah well, it’ll fade.

Here's some pictures for you to enjoy :) 


Before hair dye

~La vie est belle, Bri~

No comments:

Post a Comment